CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, January 12, 2009

The cold has broken


After three looong weeks of freezing cold temperatures we are finally warming up in Alaska. We haven't been above -20 since the 20th of Dec - Three weeks and then some of -40's most of those days. Here is a picture of our coldest day -45. The ice fog was bad with visibilty only about 10 feet or so some days. Normally we can see the hill and the houses behind that cabin in the background. We finally saw it today. Doesn't it look like a scene from "Day after Tomorrow?"

It was so warm (just about -4) that Caleb wanted to go out and Bailey asked to go out and stay out six times today. Just yesterday it was a quick one or two times all day. Thank goodness the "warm" weather has returned. No joke, I bet you that I see people in shorts tomorrow when i go get a pedicure. A cold snap like that does crazy things to Alaskans. If not shorts - at least someone wearing only a tshirt.

4 comments:

Erin said...

Hey lady, Happy Birthday and guess what? Me, Danny and Sarah got pedicures today as well, but at least we had good reason to wear shorts and sandals to show our pretty feet off!

The Bowmans said...

yuck....no thank you! I think NY is bad...it's suppose to be -10 here with the windchill for the next 3 days :(

Anonymous said...

Hi everyone,
Hope you got your card today, Mara and had a good time with your WELL-DECORATED cake. We are having a cold spell which doesn't amount to anything like yours but it is suppose to be -15 with the wind chill on Friday and not more than single digits until Sunday during the day. LOVE TO ALL and snuggle (good excuse). Love Grammie & Poppy

Anonymous said...

I thought of you when I saw that tempatures here in the lower 48 were to get about -30. I always think, what you all tolerate in AK for some much longer, that when it is 14 degrees here, I should be thankful. I can also recall many times we would go to bars in the winter and you would be out without a coat like it was no big deal. So shorts at -4 is nothing!

Anyway, Hello from Cincinnati, and I hope that baby comes soon.