Caleb grew overnight! I swear it. All of a sudden he is big and hefty, weighs a lot and is so long/hard to hold. He just doesn't fit as well in my arms while snuggling. How did this happen, I have only been out of commission for what, 6 days! I guess it is a phenomenon that most parents of more than one go through. Our neighbor said the exact same thing right after their baby was born.
Caleb recognizes Nolan as being part of our family - no big protests yet. He is sad that I can't do everything with him like I used to, hold him if he is crying, putting him down to sleep, being at his beck and call. And I am sad too, and frustrated. It takes more to explain and calm him down. I am not sure if it is because there is a new baby, but he has been testing limits. He will see how many times he can keep doing something before the NO becomes serious and small infractions like that. He is a really good boy in general.
Today a lactation consultant/nurse came to see me from the health center and Caleb was playing with Paul - she commented that he has excellent grasp on language / being verbal. I agree - the kid likes to talk and I have no idea where he picks up all words from- but watch out - he knows how to pick out the "slip-ups". Paul and I are pretty good about not saying things, but visitors have found themselves being parroted from time to time.
Here I am sure he is hoping that Nolan will get out so he can hop in.
He asks to hug and kiss Nolan from time to time - but he can be a little rough. Many a time I have had to reach in and deflect a hand, book or toy from whacking Nolan by accident. He hasn't tried to do anything intentional...yet.
Nolan and I are both doing great. I am feeling better everyday and Nolan just keeps getting bigger. He lost 5 oz the day after he was born(8lbs 3 oz) which is to be expected, he probably lost a little more the 3rd day. We just had him weighed today and he is gaining well, 8 lbs 5.5oz. We are excited because Caleb lost 11 oz right after he was born and took a while to build it back up. But there's no stopping Nolan. He is wide eyed and looking around for about an hour or two a day and then back to nursing and dozing. Last night was the best sleep we have gotten - two separate 3 hour stretches back to back! Paul has been a Godsend and forced me to go to sleep even we I can tell he is struggling to calm Nolan down sometimes. He has once again done 100% of the housework and 50% of the parenting (75% of Calebing). Gotta love a good husband.
Just to compare them.

3 comments:
I'm so proud of you guys---what great parents you are! LOVE TO ALL, Grammy & Poppy
They do feel like they have grown overnight, but it's only because the new one is so small. One HUGELY helpful piece of advice my mom gave me when I had my second one was to make the first one feel really special when you spend time with him. She would say (using your kids' names), "Now Nolan, it's time for me to go and play with Caleb right now. It is time for Caleb to have mommy time." And make sure Caleb is right there to hear it. I have done it with every kid and they just get a HUGE grin and all excited because they know it's just you and him. Hopefully that will help.
And Caleb is just going to keep on getting bigger now that he is the big brother and has to learn to be a little more independent! It is good that he had you for so long all to himself-Ella never really had that. :( We can't wait to see both the boys and you and Paul. Maybe sometime in April? I'm trying to plan an AK getaway!
Post a Comment